Monday, July 13, 2009

First Week of School

Daniel's first week of school went well. He bikes to school and home everyday so he leaves home around 6:30. We get to have breakfast together before he pedals away. The mornings here are cool and mostly foggy, but Daniel stays warm biking up and down the hills to NPS.



In memory of all the first day of school photos, I had him pose for me.


Here he is in action.



The trailer behind him has proven to be most useful. He has his change of clothes in there as well as lunch and his briefcase. This way he doesn't have to haul all these things on the bike and his back. It gives him more drag and more of a workout, but he prefers it this way. There are several guys at the school who bike to school with a trailer as well. It is a child trailer so it has a seat for a child to be buckled in. (I am just happy to think about future family bike rides with Violet. I am sure she would love to be strapped in there while her Momma and Daddy pedal away.)


Classes are going to require a lot of time out of Daniel. He's already dove right into studying for several hours a night. We are working out our schedule in the evenings where we have dinner and reading the Bible together and then getting him to the study to read and do homework. I think this is the best schedule right now. It requires me to be busy in the evening after supper with something other than spending time with Daniel. This is new to me. I need to learn I cannot be as selfish of his time. It is a good time to learn this before we have Vi. I know I will be busy with her, but I also want Daniel's attention. It is going to require a large amount of peace to allow Daniel to get everything he needs done. I want him to feel comfortable with his workload so I am already planning projects to keep me busy.


Computer Science is one of the heaviest work loads according to one of Daniel's professors. There will be very little time for outside social activities. This will be something new for us as well. It will be a good challenge. This is an important season for our family and we are both so grateful for this opportunity for Daniel. What a blessing to have him here with me with no looming deployment.


Thanks for all your love and prayers for Daniel and me. We love ya'll.

1 comment:

Momma said...

I remember Uncle Bill talking about the time involved when he was enrolled in NPGS. He did graduate work in computer science, just not sure if it was there, as he studied elsewhere, as well.

How cute that you did "first day of school" pics. It's TRA-DI-TION!

I know you will find some things to do in the evenings until Violet arrives. Then she will help you with that. Have you checked out any singing opportunities? Not necessarily proformance opportunities, just for the joy of singing, which is always a joy both for you and for the listener. :-)

It's also a good timer to get familiar with your sewing machine or get back to needlework. LYSM XXOO