Monday, August 31, 2009

If You are Going to San Francisco...

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair...

We didn't wear flowers in our hair, but we were eager to go and see the sights.

Saturday we took a bus with other military members and families up to San Francisco. It was our first visit up to "the city". We left around 7:30 and had a nice drive up. It turned out to be a beautiful clear day so I was happy with all of our pictures of the city. It did get to around 88 degrees, the hottest we have been in this summer. We stuck it out though. Thinking of having to live in that while pregnant all summer long makes me so thankful for Monterey's temperate climate.

We first stopped at a lookout over the city. It was a gorgeous day for photos.

A couple of tourists, like us, offered to take a picture. I always am surprised when they turn out good. :)


Next stop, San Francisco Bay Bridge!



We ate lunch at Pier 39, a bustling tourist stop.


On to our major destination of the day...dun dun dun...ALCATRAZ!



Even looking at these pictures again reminds me of how I deserve this, far more even. It was desolate, dark, dank and very depressing. I know that the men who served sentences here deserved what they received by our country's standards of justice at the time. They were being given the sentence that fit their crime by earthly standards. I deserve this and so much more on a heavenly standard. I have been given mercy to the highest degree. I do not deserve the life I live on this earth much less the eternal life I will live after I die. Maybe I am thinking too much into a prison visit, but goodness I am thankful! Thankful for our earthly authorities put over us to protect us and thankful by so many more degrees for our Supreme Authority who has forgiven me all my crimes past, present and future. Praise Him!

It was a great day of wandering the island and pondering justice and mercy.

Check out the rest of the photos on the right of the blog that link to my flickr account. I didn't want to post them all.


Love Ya'll!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks be to God, we don't get what we deserve!

Anonymous said...

Did you all say hi to Nancy
Love ya
Bill
New Bern

Moma said...

Are you expecting a baby? :-)

Lolly said...

I am so glad that you two got to SF. It is such a wonderful city. I was there for that 8 days last year (same time as you) and was surprised how warm (hot!) it got. Luckily, not humid like MD. The Golden Gate sure is beautiful.

Actually, the "Bay Bridge" is on the other side of the city - going across to Oakland and Berkeley... you didn't get over there on this trip, did you? That is an impressive bridge too - not as *fancy* but longer. It was the one that toppled during the last big earthquake in the 80s...

Next time you go up, check out some of the neighborhoods and Golden Gate Park. The DeYoung museum and the Japanese Tea Garden are really nice...

Have I mentioned I love SF? :)

But you beat me on Alcatraz! I haven't been there!

xoxoxo

Lolly said...

Oh yeah, you have to cross the bridge too, and go over to Marin. And then to Muir Woods. Amazingness...

Emma said...

You're so cute pregnant! Rub your belly for me, since I can't do it myself. Miss you!