Monday, August 31, 2009

Cake Class Results...

Need more practice.


Well, I finished the cake decorating class at Michael's this past week. I really enjoyed the time just creating with some other ladies. Unfortunately I won't be able to continue for another few months to the next level due to conflicts in scheduling, but I think I need more practice at this level anyway.

We were kind of getting tired of trying to figure out what to do with all the cake I was bringing home. We don't eat sweets that sweet very often and cake every night wasn't working for Daniel's get-fit regimen.



After class one: I just put Daniel's name and age on there as filler. His birthday is in October. I thought I would practice now. I know I will not make a rainbow cake for him though. :)







Class 2 must have slipped by without pictures. We practiced on cupcakes and I decorated them with grapes, hearts, bears and other little faces. I was happy with how they turned out. Working on cupcakes is a good small project to do. If you mess up a little it just messes up one cupcake other than a whole cake.


By class three we were challenged with roses. I still need a lot of work with them, but they are coming along.





My roses were really ruffly. I think my icing was too stiff or soft. Still figuring that out. I think they look more real... :-/

It was a fun class and I encourage anyone to take it. I plan on making cakes in the future for other events so I need to still keep up with the practice and put all the gear I purchased into use.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I think your cakes look fantastic! I especially like the one with yellow roses. A friend of mine took cake decorating class and instead of practicing on real cakes, they turned a cake pan upside down and used that. No cake to eat, only a pan to clean!

Momma said...

The cakes are wonderful, 'specially the rosy one! They look yummy. XXOO

Lolly said...

I have been making these vegan cupcakes and they are delicious! a lot of them have frosting recipes too and I have made the frostings, and they taste *just* like regular dairy frosting. You would never know the difference. The thing is, I don't have any of the bags or the fancy tips to decorate. Did you get some? Maybe I can bring my book when we visit and we can experiment :)