Thursday, March 18, 2010

NWC Graduation

While attending the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) students have the opportunity to take a sequence of four additional courses offered by the Naval War College (NWC) even though the NWC is actually located in Rhode Island. Daniel has decided to take these courses. Before a Marine officer can be promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, he must complete the Marine Corps Command and Staff College or the equivalent school offered by the Navy, Army, or Air Force. The NWC is the Navy's equivalent.

Today was Daniel's graduation from the Naval War College. Violet and I were able to attend the graduation and the small reception following. We were the proud family members present to clap for him as he received his diploma. I am so thankful he was able to take these classes here and they were not too much of a hindrance to his other studies. I know he is glad they are over. His computer science course load rarely, if ever, requires papers to be written like the NWC required, and he doesn't like to write papers. I don't either so I can relate to his relief that the classes are done.

Here is Daniel amidst the other graduates. The photographer was standing in the center so I only got a partial group shot.

Here he is close-up. My handsome Marine!

After the ceremony with Vi. She loves being in her Daddy's arms.

Daniel with his three professors from the NWC.

Daniel is finishing his last final tonight. It is a take-home final for his statistics class. I know he will be very glad when it is finished. He has no class for a week. He is taking leave so we can enjoy our time with Sarah and Andrew to the fullest. We are so excited to see them.

I was just checking out some low-intensity things to do in San Francisco with Vi as we hang around the city while Andrew and Sarah go to Alcatraz. We decided not to join them on that part of the trip, but we will meet up with them later in the day. I am thinking the Japanese Tea Garden or de Young Museum in the Golden Gate Bridge Park. Either one would be great and the weather looks to be perfect for exploring the park. We will see which one suits our fancy that day.

Marc and Amaya are spending the night in the same hotel we are this weekend so we are sure to run into them also. It is always good to see sweet Amaya.

I am meeting up with a couple friends tomorrow night for a quick ladies' night before we go to San Fran on Saturday. Daniel is taking the Vi Pie for a couple hours while I meet Lauren and Rebecca at the Red House Cafe for dinner. It is a fantastic cafe in Pacific Grove that I have only been to for lunch so I am excited to try their dinner. It will be a sweet time with these two ladies. We have all had family in town and children with colds recently so we haven't seen much of each other. I am looking forward to it.

I am loving this weather. I know everyone I have spoken to around the country is loving it too. Praise the Lord for his sweet blessings in the Spring weather.

Goodnight to all.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Congrats to Daniel, one down, one to go! Have fun in San Fran and don't forget to post lots of photos...

Momma said...

Good to get the classes out of the way while Daniel is in "school mode". Congrats and cute picture of the Captain and his little lady. We are loving the weather here as well. XXOO

Diane from Mo said...

Please tell Danile congrats from the Buttrams...we are very proud of him....

Loved the pic of Vi and her daddy..precious pic...something about little girls and their daddys.

Have a wonderful week!!!

Mom G. said...

Thank you Maryn for posting this about Daniel's graduation. Wish we could have been there with you. We are proud of him, too and thankful for your support at home. You are a very important part of his success and we will not forget it. Praise God for His blessings. Give Sarah and Andrew our love, too.

CLR said...

Congratulations Guys!

Anonymous said...

Say hi to Nancy for me.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Daniel. Your accomplishments amaze us. We are so proud of you and your family. Enjoy your break and time with family.

We have snow here so I guess spring was only 2 days this year!

Unlce Larry & Aunt Phyllis

Lolly said...

Wow! great photos - good for Daniel! I love the photo of him and V :) that's the dress from Mom and dad, right? I recognize it :)

I hope you are having LOTS of fun in San Fran!